Haven't done much work with either Grouchy Pants or Sassy Pants lately. It's apparent with Sassy Pants too. She is so friendly I think I forget that she still needs to be continuously exposed to things - already made that mistake with Grouchy Pants. So, I will start taking her to places, without Grouchy Pants.
As for Grouchy Pants, he is such an easy dog 90% of the time! Yesterday, I took both of them to pick up their food. It's raw, usually frozen, but still super smelly. It took maybe 15 minutes of waiting/transferring boxes of food from the supplier truck to my car and Grouchy Pants watched us most of the time. There were even lots of people walking by the car (not super close though) in the parking lot and I didn't hear him bark! I heard Sassy Pants give a few but I guess he didn't feel the need to join in OR (more likely) he was super focused on me, the raw meat lady, and her other customer. After I got all the food to the car, the raw meat lady wanted to see Grouchy Pants. I told her he was unfriendly before - but she wanted to see him, so I got him out of the car. He gave a few barks but had his tail wagging the whole time. He pulled a bit, but not really lunging, more like straining at the end of his leash (there is difference!). She stayed maybe 10 feet away, but still I was impressed with him.
She had a good point, when he is pulling forward, and I'm holding him back, he might interpret that as he needs to protect me or assume some type of protective position. So, the correct position would be me in front and him behind me. Well, I know this in theory, but I need to learn how to keep him in this position, especially in circumstances he finds challenging. Maybe next food delivery day I will try this with him and her. I think it helped he was able to observe us for so long, I walked back and forth during that period bringing smelly stuff back into the car too.
The downside was that during our 5 minute "meeting" Sassy Pants took a 5-lb. chub of frozen ground beef mix from an open box in the front seat and got it into the back seat and started eating it. She is a trouble maker! I hope the plastic doesn't hurt her... but Grouchy Pants would never do something like that!
No comments:
Post a Comment