Grouchy Pants was good at Quarry Run yesterday! He was great! Right as we got out of the car, 2 people and a big Doberman started to head up the trail too. He sorta ran after the Doberman but got sidetracked by a man exiting the fenced area with his dog on leash. Grouchy sniffed the on leash dog and came right away as I called him away and towards the trail. He did rush up to the people and the Doberman, and even just moved his head to avoid a head pat by one of the people - I wasn't fast enough to say he didn't like to be petted by strangers. He did sniff the Doberman and we hung back a bit to give them some room to head up first. The Doberman didn't seem playful, more wanting to walk and sniff. Maybe with a more playful dog we could have walked together and let them play along the way. We passed a few more dogs and although his hackles did come up, he didn't show any other signs of being uncomfortable. He even went into a down when seeing another human + dog combo come our way. While I know that is not his most polite greeting, it seemed to be ok. Much better than when I have him on leash, he's in his down, and the other dog comes towards us. That usually results in lunging, growling, and snarling.
I think we'll try another park on Monday after Sassy Pants gets her final shot and I drop her off to play afterwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment