Grouchy has been doing really well lately. I suspect he is coming off the Suprelorin too though I'm not sure how to confirm that.
We've been going on our Sunday dog walks which he's been great on. He seems to like the little ones, Ollie (which has seen quite a bit at weight pull and on walks) and Peanut. Or rather, we think Peanut really like Grouchy. Funny since he used to play with a puppy Viszla named Peanut and they were great together!
Lori came to visit this weekend - Fri night - Sunday evening. She mailed us 2 shirts 2 weeks before her visit and I gave them to Grouchy to play with. He took to carrying around one of the shirts everywhere, "grooming" it and playing tug with it with Sassy Pants. But he would take it to bed and take it downstairs in the morning, kinda endearing!
We did a 15 minute BAT session when Lori first got here, he seemed excited to see her, like he didn't know the he didn't know her. So it actually went really fast, some driveway stuff, then quickly progressing to touches and some walking in the house. I had him on his Halti instead of the muzzle since it's so hard to feed in the muzzle.
We left for drinks after the short session and met back at the house with the Trainer. He let her in the house, was excited to see her so she and Lori did some initial greeting on the driveway, then progressed to inside the house rather quickly. We moved around a lot, played with the laser pointer, gave a lot of treats, etc. We worked for about 30-45 minutes and then left for dinner after feeding them.
When we got back from dinner, unbeknownst to me, Dad had let them out of their crates so he came rushing up to the front door, carrying the shirt. He had no issues letting her in, no growls or barks! Lori fed him some PB and we sent him up to bed, not taking any chances!
We walked Saturday morning at the fields and he was great - and after some human activities, we came home. He had 1 outburst, Lori sat outside and he came up to her and wanted to be petted. It was probably too long of a petting session, it seemed to be almost 10 minutes, but towards the end, he started staring a bit and looking a bit uncomfortable. I still don't know why he just doesn't get up and leave. But he gave a half jump and grumble, snarl, I don't think he made any contact but I sent him inside to his crate. He seemed ok afterwards, more PB feeding and laser pointer play. Oh yea, Lori gave him laser pointer play while I was in the shower - no issues!
The rest of the weekend was quite similar. Sunday was a busy day with dog walk and weight pull. Both were tired since Grouchy walked and Sassy was at daycare for almost 3 hours before weight pull. She was actually challenged and didn't seem to want to pull 2 cinder blocks in the sled. But she did great with just 1 block.
So, I think management is still key for Grouchy. He can get petted but we humans have to know to keep it short and tell him to go do something else, i.e. disengage, since he doesn't know how to do that yet.
Overall, a very successful weekend. I'm proud of my Grouchy!
Sassy started CGC class. She's also been a much more confident swimmer, especially with the life jacket on. I think that's enough, she doesn't need to be a titled water dog, but I hope she likes to swim and gets good exercise from it.
PS - on a vet side note, we had to do a fast blood draw and another one 2 hours later. He did great!!! Unfortunately, he's got some off numbers so it looks like supplements for a while and another blood draw before we leave. It might be something to do with his liver function. I hope he's ok...
No comments:
Post a Comment