What's the point of a training journal if it's never updated?
Where to start?
We have moved and are pretty much settled in. There are more parks around us, but everything is on leash - boo. It's not the same! I will just have to take them hiking more.
We went to Mt. Crane on Thursday and probably won't repeat that one with the dogs again. We made it, but there were quite a few rock scrambles on the way up, combined with icy patches on the rock, and steep faces on the way down, well... I'm just glad we all made it.
Sassy Pants is such a brave dog. She struggled with the climb but found a way - mainly, she just forces her way through, that's her way - not subtle or elegant but brute force - both physical and force of will. She has such a big heart, she will do whatever you ask (I mean in challenging situations, not obedience situations) even if she's unsure. Ultimately, she is just a confident dog, if not over confident. (No fear of slipping down ice on a steep rock face is just too much confidence or bravado).
Grouchy Pants is well, he is what he is. He searched for routes up and down so he could avoid crevices, high jumps, rock faces, preferring to have some type of brush or dirt underfoot. He is graceful but tentative, if not chicken! But he did this hike a lot easier than Pleasant Mountain and Tumbledown Pond in Maine, maybe he's learning or maybe this one was easier.
Grouchy and I are doing dog walks with a group that I started on meetup. So far, only 1 other woman has been there each time, she's got a small 10 lb. dog that barks a lot. Grouchy doesn't seem to mind him much.
We went to the vet on my birthday. Sassy got evaluated and she seems to be fine. She's got some herbs for her hips and we were recommended acupuncture sessions, which are really expensive, but I think we'll start them if insurance covers it.
Male Doctor was brave and listened to Grouchy's heart, breathing, and did sort of a hands on exam. Grouchy was VERY grouchy, growly, over stimulated. Why did we proceed? I'm not sure, maybe because Dad was there to hold too and Male Doctor seemed to want to proceed. Is it testosterone? Well, the good news is that Female Doctor was able to draw Grouchy's blood maybe 10 minutes after, he did great (of course he had peanut butter). So it seems he calmed down enough and really didn't mind at all. Maybe it was the familiarity - I guess I need to find a vet tech and then a vet that's willing to practice hands on exams. So Grouchy has normal thyroid levels, but still liver mystery. He's back on herbs and a reduced protein diet, although I am skeptical. We'll give it a month and re-do the fasting test. I guess after that it would be ultrasounds and biopsies. I'm just not sure since he seems to act and feel fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment