Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Grouchy and Sassy had a visitor this past week, just for 2 days.
Grouchy has been really good outside the house, in his own barriered space in the care, but not in the house!  Grouchy is ok when playing with the laser pointer, and pretty much ok to play with Sassy on leash, he was ok with our visitor moving around and taking pictures of him (on-leash, he was interacting with his human dad) - but he was not comfortable, and I don't think he would be ok to let our visitor wander around.  Visitor and Grouchy were playing laser pointer for a bit, we let Grouchy outside and then we he came back in, he seemed to forget our visitor was still there and he did a jump and growl.  I am now sure that Grouchy can do worse if he intends to - so these outbursts are controlled to some extent.  I mean, I don't think he is in that 'zone' where he can no longer think because his actions are reserved but at the same time, is he really thinking?  We will need more willing visitors to test this out on but they are hard to come by.
Grouchy and I have been walking with 2 other pairs of human and dogs.  At least these pairs have spent a lot of time - more than I have - working with each other, so our walks have been uneventful, at least with each others' dogs.
Grouchy seems to be reacting to shepherd/husky dogs.  He did this Saturday, even after passing 1 or 2 other dogs.  There was plenty of time in between so I don't think it was trigger stacking and he really wasn't worked up about the other dogs.  This husky was jumping too though and moving very slowly, so maybe it was that combo, although I recall he didn't like the shepherd/husky that used to come on our walks.  And there was that one time he took over after the shepherd and left me on the ground.  Although he didn't want to do anything other than a quick sniff and I easily called him to me. 
Grouchy also doesn't like our friends' new puppy.  He is fine walking and hiking on- and off-leash with Puppy but doesn't want Puppy to be in the same space - in our house, in our yard, in Puppy's yard, in our car - as him.  He's fine though when he is barriered in the cargo area and Puppy and Sassy share the back seat.  He's even ok with Puppy sitting up and looking at him through the barrier, I'm sure there's a duration to the looking that he will tolerate, but we haven't exceeded it so far - and hope not too!
Sassy has been taking agility foundations.  She's great in class.  She has learned where her feet are - at least much more than when she was a puppy, she can at least walk on a board the width of a dog walk and stay on!  We're also building drive and recall.  I really love this trainer and class.  Maybe Sassy will be an agility dog!  She is still mischievous in the house - steals lots of things off counters, chews through plastic bags, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment