Sunday, November 10, 2013
Agility Notes
Week of Thursday Nov 7 - 14
1) Focus Forward - Throw a toy, make sure dog is looking at it before releasing to go get it.
Notes: Sassy isn't consistently motivated to retrieve toys. She played tug in one of the first classes but hasn't shown much toy interest since. I've used treats so far, but she won't take her eyes off food so I'm not sure she's learning the focus forward concept. I will try will new toys from Clean Run once they arrive.
2) It's Your Choice - Have the dog in either side line up position. Hold a treat near dog, so she has a choice to wait for you to give it to her or try to grab it. Occasionally release the dog so she is allowed to jump up and take the treat. Otherwise, no treat until you give it.
Notes: Sassy seems pretty good at this game, she does try to go after it sometimes, but I think this is because she is used to hearing a "Leave It" before being presented with food. This could be really good for eventual therapy dog work where she will not be allowed to take food even if presented to her.
3) Still working on line-ups. I think I'm going with "Line-up" for the left side and haven't figured out the right side yet. Maybe "Get in place". Obviously this isn't going too well. I think it's confusing to work both sides and we usually end up working the left side. I don't know if its better to teach one side command and wait until she's got that down before teaching the other side. She is getting a little better about being to my side instead of always sitting facing me, although that is her default still.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment