Thursday, March 22, 2012
Barking
Sasparilla has obedience class on Tuesday nights. We need to get her to stop barking at dogs when she sees them. She's not really worried about them and I'm starting to think she's not really excited or frustrated, I think she just letting us know she sees a dog and letting the dog know she sees them too... except it's hard to get her to quit barking.
Why am I so concerned? Well, other than it being annoying, yesterday, while walking Tobasco, a small dog barked and ran at us on a retractable leash. Tobasco was fine with the dog prior to his barking and trying to run at us but after that dog did that, Tobasco lunged and tried to run at the dog - he almost got loose, I am almost positive he wouldn't have done anything except run up to the dog, but still, no one wants a 100+ lb. dog running at them or their tiny 10 lb. dog that started it. Ok, the who-started-it thing is sorta beside the point - except I have Sasparilla, who does bark and I hope to never put anyone in the position we were placed in with Tobasco. It's just frustrating and puts a damper on an otherwise GREAT walk - we watched 2 other dogs go by and followed one from a distance, watched kite surfing man surf and get out of the water and pack up his gear, all without much tension until small barking dog.
Sasparilla's project of the month is to walk - separate from Tobasco - where she can see dogs and hopefully learn the Look at That game or maybe even sit and look at me...
Tobasco is an ongoing project, but I think we're going to focus on visits to the vet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment