Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

There is hope...

July 20, 2014
Again, it's been a while...
There have been a few incidents but I don't think I can recount them accurately and I don't think they are terribly significant.  So on to the newest developments...
Grouchy has been able to be off-leash with his group walk buddy.  They don't play with each other, but can chase the same thing, run past and towards each other, and generally just be around each other.  This is great!
I took Grouchy to an IPO club.  I think something like that might be good for him, but it's not the right type of training.  Grouchy did well just hanging out with the female trainers, we talked, he sat, they edged closer.  But when the male trainer came by, he was less careful about the approach, tossed treats at Grouchy, but when they were out, Grouchy lunged at him.  Grouchy did not make contact and didn't continue to go after the guy, I think he was uncomfortable with him and wanted him to go away.  So male trainer believes Grouchy should be put on a prong, tied out, and be choked when he lunges at approaching people so that he learns this is what happens when people approach, I should just give up and submit.  This is exactly NOT what I want him to learn.  So we won't be going there.  In the  meantime, I've been more diligent about doing stuff with Grouchy on walks, like clicking for check-ins, clicking if he just notices a dog, asking for sits and downs and other silly things.  I've also been trying to do at least one solo walk.  I think it is paying off, of course, Grouchy is also eating a lot of cheese, but today, I was able to walk, ask for a down, and continue walking - this is out in the park without anyone around of course, but not in our own backyard - and Grouchy did it, and did it happily.  I was able to get this 2x and get some sits too.  I think this is awesome.  I have to stick with it!
Sassy has also made huge improvements.  She now pulls a cart and maneuvers pretty well.  She has figured out the teeter in agility.  We are working on weaves.  I'm most proud of Sassy because one day, she had a bad fall off the dog walk at the beginning of class.  She was scared but we were able to coax her back during class.  I took her for a private lesson 2 days later and she had no issues with it.  She is a very resilient girl and really tries to do what we ask of her.
She's also been swimming well!  She fetches her bumper =)  Doesn't seem interested in swimming otherwise, but that's ok.  I think she's getting to be a stronger swimmer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment