Mr Dog Walker came to our house for Session #5. We started off with both Grouchy and Sassy crated. We spent some time approaching Grouchy in his crate and giving treats. It really wasn't too difficult, he seemed to recognize Mr Dog Walker once he saw him - no voice recognition yet.
After doing some approaches and retreats (while giving treats), Mr Dog Walker let Grouchy out of his crate. We did some sitting + treating... and Grouchy's favorite - laser pointer fun!
Grouchy did pretty well. He did jump on Mr Dog Walker a few times, but I think this was out of excitement and pushiness for treats. Grouchy was not as bad as Sassy though. Mr Dog Walker put Grouchy in a sit-stay while Sassy was out. Mr Dog Walker was trying to give Grouchy a treat but Sassy kept jumping in Mr Dog Walker's face for food. This went on for maybe 1 minute, with Grouchy sitting while Sassy was jumping all over the place and me + Dad trying to get Sassy out of the way. I didn't want to get Grouchy too worked up, so we tried to stay out of the picture and not force Sassy away. Eventually, Grouchy did get up and we got Sassy away and Mr Dog Walker gave Grouchy his treat. I thought that was pretty amazing for Grouchy to be: 1) focused enough to sit-stay, 2) patient enough with bouncing Sassy, and 3) not pushy.
Mr Dog Walker was pretty impressed with Grouchy's laser pointer chasing skills - he said it was even more entertaining than watching TV! (I totally agree)
I really liked that Mr Dog Walker asked Grouchy to sit for treats and for laser pointer play. Although Grouchy didn't sit immediately, I recall he did it on the second or third request - which is acceptable to me since he was rev'ed up and it was someone new asking him to do stuff. I really want Grouchy to be able to have impulse control and listen to someone else's "commands". Kudos to Mr Dog Walker for being consistent and firm.
We took Grouchy on a stroll around the neighborhood afterwards. I let Mr Dog Walker leash Grouchy (he already had his harness on) and hold the leash for the entire stroll. I also had Mr Dog Walker unleash him in the house after the walk. I think Grouchy isn't 100% relaxed during the walk, but he seemed ok during the laser pointer play. It might just take him a while to be used to walking with someone else.
Two more sessions next week - at least the first one will be at home so it'll be good to see if Grouchy remembers Mr Dog Walker!
No comments:
Post a Comment