I can't get over how different Grouchy and Sassy are. Yesterday Sassy and I walked with a group of new people and dogs on one of the trails near home. One of the dogs was really scared and nervous around other dogs. If she were mine, I don't think I would have brought her to that type of walk. But I am probably just hyper sensitive because of my experience with Grouchy. And she was 10 lbs. Sassy was a pain in the butt. She wanted to walk in front which was fine with the other two social dogs but when we turned around the scared dog was up front and Sassy just wanted to bother her. She doesn't read dog signals! Or rather, she reads them but doesn't care or just thinks nothing of them. I think this is because Grouchy is grouchy and he never did anything to her for all his grouchiness. But it doesn't give her the right to pester another dog that is uncomfortable. So I haven't figured out what to do yet. She is really hard to control with her pulling and excitement, I can't get her to focus on me, she's single-mindedly and intensely pursuing the other dog. Holding her back is a workout.
So I'm thinking just more training, more focus work. Well, she needs the training, she's a puller.
We met with the Northland Newf Club again today. At least most of the Newfs seemed to pull. They were on choke or prong collars though. I just don't see it as the only way to train/control them. Grouchy was never an avid puller. He was worked up today with deer all around but he eventually eased off and walked nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment